Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Earthquake Disaster in Japan Brings Back Memories

Toppled buildings, fires, power outages, wide cracks in roads that can swallow anything and everything in its path, silence, broken glass, these are but a few of the first things that come to my mind when I hear the word earthquake.

When I first heard about the earthquake in Japan before I even saw any pictures and videos of the carnage my first thought was how big was it? To later found out that a tsunami had happened it was like a one-two punch to the stomach.

I couldn't even wrap my mind around the fact that it is now the 5Th worst earthquake in recorded history and there are probably 100,000+ people that are possibly missing and feared dead. Most will probably never be located.

One terrific difference between the quake of 1994 and today..the internet technology available. I thought back in time, we didn't have a cell phone in 1994 and the only way I was able to communicate was to call my mother-in-law in Missouri because I couldn't get through locally.

We ate by candlelight, boiled water for days and days and lived like pioneers. We at least had our home, even in the slightest damage we had, we did have our house. Most in the quake of 2011 no longer have a home to go too.

I am not sure Japan will ever be able to get back to normal but as one reporter said, "They said after the bombing that ended World War II that Japan would never been the same and look how far they have come".

May Japan make it through this disaster and may it also remind people to be prepared in case of any emergency.

No comments: