Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Piercing Trooper

For some it is a right of passage,  other's sometimes go too far piercing body parts that have no business being with one much less multiple holes in them.  When I was a kid my parents told me that when I turned 18 I could get them done (how many times have we heard that saying in our lifetime and now find ourselves saying it now).

I was 18 and I went to a local department store, not really entirely sure what to expect. I  knew many people who just disinfected a needle and had a friend stick the needle in their ear, my mother actually had a physician do hers.

Yesterday was unlike many trips to the mall, except our main focus was going to get last minute wedding day items off our continuing list of things to get. At this point a week away and the list is getting shorter by the day.

Our granddaughter, Hadleigh  3, going on 13 was accompanying us on the trip and my daughter, Jennifer asked her as  usual, "Do you want to get your ears pierced?" Mind you her mother has had two such ear piercing stories and also a belly-button piercing story. The first ear piercing for her mother took many tries at getting them done due to the people ahead of her not being "big girls", and she got her belly pierced without our knowledge but after having Hadleigh let that hole close up (good choice I said).

We planned our attack plan of the mall and each store we entered and exited we asked her if she wanted to get her ears done, each time with a resounding "YES". I mentioned to my daughter it might be better to make the candy store the last stop in that we could reward a good experience with the candy.

We entered the store, walking around looking at all the other jewelry displayed. Of course she wanted her April birthstone ( I proceed to tell her Dad she would of course want real diamonds for Christmas). The clerk asked her if she was ready and she nodded and the clerk proceeded to hand her a large stuffed bear to hold if she wanted. What little girl is going to turn down holding a big plush bear? Every customer that passed the window admired what a "big girl" she was and motioned to us watching her sit there so patiently. We informed the clerk could you do a double shoot as it was our experience that it was easier for all involved to do it that way. "No problem" we would just have to wait for the second clerk to come in. My daughter and I looked at each other like, "Oh boy this might be the kicker because we would have to wait". I thought of my daughter at this point because she would have decided back in the day to forget the whole ordeal. But, Hadleigh, being who she is sat patiently waiting for the girl.

The time came and with ear guns in hand we all were in anticipation of what expression and experience was to come. We both jumped but with smiles on our faces and surprise---not a peep out of Hadleigh.

She is now part of the girls and boys of all ages, shapes and sizes that adorn ear piercings. Now I just hope she won't asked to have anything else pierced in her lifetime. Oh well, her mom will thank goodness have to deal with that time when it comes. I just hope I am around to experience it with the both of them down the road.

No comments: