Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Architecture/Construction Everybody Has to Start Somewhere

I came across this picture the other day on Pinterest and basically it made me think of my situation for the past week. I am not sure this may or may not be some one's home. The saying "a person's home is his castle" has a universal meaning. If you have watched any Home and Garden program on just about anything to do with home repairs or home remodeling it is most definitely not an easy process. What sometimes is a weekend warrior project usually turns out to take twice as long. Budgets are usually out the window after the first hour you start the project because you usually find what may have started off as a small issue now becomes much more detailed than originally thought which in turn will cost more money.

On my go to Sunday Morning program a segment on architect recently was on Moshe Safdie who has been the architect to some of the most beautiful and noted structures around the world. The Kauffman Center for Performing Arts in Kansas City, MO and the United States Institute of Peace in Washington D.C. are just two such structures. What started on paper in his mind ended up as beautiful pieces of structural artwork for all the world to enjoy.

It has always fascinated me traveling around and see some interesting architecture that you really, wonder what an interesting concept for a building! Growing up my grandparents would take me to a restaurant called The Parasol Restaurant in Torrance, CA. It is no longer there but the pretty pink parasol was always a conversation piece of the community for many years. Although I never ate at the Hollywood Brown Derby, it was a part of early Hollywood for decades. Its derby shape was known around the country and world. Who doesn't remember the I Love Lucy episode with Lucy and William Holden--classic!

With all the famous and infamous structures around the country built and designed by some of the most renowned architects and building construction individuals my little situation seemed ever so easy to take care of--NOT.

With all the unseasonably strange weather we have had the past few years it finally caught up to the roof. Little did we realize what could have been a very easy and routine fix turned out to be more than what we or anyone bargained for. Unfortunately, sometimes you are left with shaking your head as to why people do things they way they do. Safeguards, planning ahead and working in a structured environment doesn't seem to be the work plan for everyone. 

I do not, never have and probably never will live in an expensive palace but you want to be dry, and be able to move around with ease in your home. Right now I am not yet at that point, but hopefully I will see the light at the end of the tunnel very soon.

I was being overly facetious in putting the above picture up but at this time, that is exactly what is appropriate for how I am feeling.

 

No comments: