Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Saturday, October 18, 2014

They Went to the Game and All I Got Was This Lousy Sweatshirt

Well almost everyone here is waving a blue and white Kansas City Royals flag in hopes of a World Series sweep of the San Francisco Giants.   I was really in hopes of another blue and white team (Los Angeles Dodgers)  when I heard that they might have a chance. A California Freeway World Series would have been ideal.

Back in the 1970's I was an avid baseball observer. Although I never went to any games during that time, I watched whenever they were on television. The best years for me were during that time of 73-78 when players such as Ron Cey, Steve Yeager, Danny Lopes, Bill Buckner and Steve Garvey were my  dream team players. Also the announcing duo of Vin Scully and Jerry Doggett made the play-by-play one of the best. (Vin Scully still continues to announce at the age of 86). They provided some exciting baseball for many years with little drama that the sport has now. I think the biggest drama was who was caught using  pine tar on their bats and the occasional bench clearing.

After that time baseball was a little boring for me, until flash forward to 1988 and the Dodgers were again in the World Series. That year my husband and son were fortunate enough to get to go to a series game. My son probably remembers very little of it (age 3) but I remember David saying it was one of the most exciting games he had ever witnessed.  Not only memories came home that night but souvenirs. Since I was back skating around this time they gifted me with a sweatshirt.  Though I wore it rarely skating, I have kept it after all these years.

Mind you my husband wasn't and has never been a sports fanatic. Many have told me I am lucky to not be a "sports widow". I actually watch more sports than he ever has.  After this game he really got disinterested. I remember shortly after this one of the biggest player strikes occurred and it really soured his feelings on salaries versus fans.


Around 1991 my son had started playing t-ball a little. The coach found out that our local Ford dealership was having a local Reseda, CA boy who had made it to the big leagues sign autographs.  The player had been in the 1985 World Series and his name was Brett Saberhagen. He was lucky enough that day to receive an autographed baseball and baseball card. 

Fast forward a couple weeks ago when the Royals were not yet in the playoff games my daughter got tickets through her work to a game. It was a day for firsts in that it was the first ever game for granddaughter Hadleigh and also I think my daughter's first game ever. Although they lost that day they stayed until the end and since that day, Hadleigh became a fan of the Royals, for now. Maybe I can persuade her to wear Dodger Blue some day.


No comments: