Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Saturday, June 30, 2018

Reunions Come and Go But the Memories Remain

The summer months are frequently the time for reunions. Be it family, school or some other group its not hard to find a picnic or fancy banquet for what can be one of the most enjoyable types of get together in a person's life. I looked at attending my school reunions as somewhat of my proms that I didn't attend. I have attend three high school reunions and hard to believe a fourth is coming up next year.  While drafting this post I actually received an invite for a group page for our 40th Reunion planning.  For the last several years my high school has a yearly picnic that includes all the graduation years that is always around June 15th. I have never attended one of them, but often see pictures posted of the event. Updates on that reunion will probably be integrated in post for the year.

After a lifetime of figure skating, the group I skated with had its first reunion in 2001. I flew out to attend and most from that team I was on from 1988-1991 attended. For that reunion it was extremely enjoyable to take a look back at our accomplishments and to know I helped blazed a trail for what synchronized skating is today. Still not an Olympic sport or highly televised sport but apparently if you look on YouTube you might find one of our performances; I have yet to find any, but still searching.

Late last year we got word that one of our founding members had succumbed to pancreatic cancer. I did a blog post shortly after I heard after combing my old scrapbook. Carolyn was a sweet yet precise lady of skating. She along with our first coach Chuck came up with music, costumes and choreography for many of the early numbers. Carolyn provided her expertise until the very end. After hearing about her passing several of the former members decided to try and get as many former members together for another reunion.

Unfortunately, life gets in the way and I was unable to attend. Even with the at your fingertips of almost everything it was not enough advance notice for me to go. Picking up and going places isn't as easy when you have so many other commitments and people depending on you regularly. I guess that can be a good thing sometimes but also difficult as well.

My rooming buddy/hair and makeup stylist Pam and also another member Nikki kept me updated through email and social media contacts. Some of the pictures below are from the pdf  file they put together with the entire history from 1983 when the Fabulous Forties team began to the last competition year in 1998.  As I looked at a couple pictures that were sent the day of the event, only a few of the members during my time were able to attend but I would have known them if I saw them in a crowd.

Since hearing about this reunion I have had many memories come to mind. All the summertime brainstorming to put a new program together, themes, music and practice sessions. Looking back our group of ladies were way ahead of the times. What I would give for a nice cold ice rink in this Midwest humidity!!

My first introduction to team skating was also in a short debut in 1983 before I took a couple year's hiatus to have kids. I remember we were a young, green group for team skating but it wet my appetite for what would later become one of the most enjoyable times in my life of skating.

I may not be directly in the sport today, but I am attempting to keep skating in my life by trying my hand at a short story with skating as a part of the story line.  It is a work in progress, slow but hopefully someday a finished product will be published.

Although, I wasn't at the reunion, I was their in spirit. The real test is for those who know me to pick me out of the pictures. I don't think it will be that hard.

1988 Reno, Nevada Nationals
1989 Rhode Island Nationals
1990 Houston, TX Nationals

Our Official Trophy Pic from 1990 and 1991 Anchorage, AK Nationals Fred and Ginger Program

No comments: