Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Are You Who I Think You Are?

How many times have we heard this or another comment I love is "You look just like?" I have always heard we all have an identical twin in the world walking around. I can't count the amount of times I have been stopped no mater where I am in the country an told I look like someone, or don't I know you....

When I found out 20 years ago that I had been adopted as a baby (Yes at the age of 28 I was told I was adopted at birth) the above statements created even more of a mystery to me. After almost 7 years of researching (this was before the true internet age) one of the first things I found out was that my birthmother and grandmother lived almost within walking distance from the first home I lived in. Pretty bizarre!! Once you start the search process it is truly amazing how much your lives can truly parallel.

Our church has been celebrating 50 years in existence this year. Over the past several weeks they have invited former pastors to help celebrate with us. I have only been a member of this church for 5 years but not a Sunday goes by where someone thinks they grew up with me or ask me what year I graduated from the local high school. Then the story proceeds that I am not from the area. Actually in all the mysteries it is true that my material side is originally from MO and also from an area not far from where I live now but I really knew nothing about my Missouri roots until the whole adoption subject came up.

I had heard many stores about the pastor who recently visited. That he was young and fun and everyone hated to see him go. Ironically, when he left Sedalia he transferred to Arcadia, CA. Always the MO/CA connection. He had not been back since he left in the mid-70's and understandably he had difficulty putting names and faces together. As we left church and greeted the guests he abruptly grabbed my hand and pulled me toward him into a hug and said "I remember You!" and stated and name of one of the charter families of the church. I was a little startled and said "No I am sorry I am not". As quickly as he grabbed my hand in thoughts that he had knew me, he just as abruptly let go I assumed a little in embarrassment and said "Sorry I guess I don't know you".

Sometimes I really have doubts in the correct way to respond but I guess it's something over time you just accept, but not really sure if I ever will.

No comments: