Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Trick or Treat

The trees are almost completely bare, the wind is blowing and it's that time of year again when you just can't stay out of the candy dish. I always seem to blow my diet and eat a good percentage of the candy I have bought for trick or treaters. Maybe I should buy candy I don't like and that might help me out? You would think I would learn but alas it brings back the memories of my childhood and the usual lack of getting to go trick or treat.

I could probably count the amount of times I was able to participate. Usually I got really sick before with a cold or some such illness. Let's face it fall/winter babies just don't seem to stay as healthy.

My actually fondest memory of this time was going to my granma and granpas house and filling the individual candy bags they gave out. Each year we would pick out between five and six types of candy, spill them out onto the table and we would bag six pieces per wax baggy and staple them shut.. The kids always loved coming to granmas because she gave out so much candy. Funny what memories can do for us.

While living in California Halloween would be a pretty big deal we could have as much as 110-150 kids any given year so five to six pieces per kid just wasn't in the budget.. Over the years the numbers have dwindled with more families doing group activities rather than going from door to door but it is always fun seeing the little kids dressed up.

Well I guess I am off to buy more candy and set a rule for next year. Wait until the day of Halloween to buy candy.

1 comment:

L S Fisher said...

At least you have tric-or-treaters. I just buy candy to be buying candy.