Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Monday, November 9, 2009

Preparing Your Own Therapy

People find different experiences therapeutic. Some exercise, some read, garden or work on their cars. I have many things I like to do that help me to de-stress but one I put at the top of my list is cooking.

As a kid I would watch my family prepare different items, my grandparents loved baking. Especially during the holidays their were always those special cookies and once a year items. I did more watching than helping back then but now I love to create different things. Those observation sessions were wonderful but it's also great to concoct your own things too.

This past week I needed to come up with several items for an auction/bazaar at our annual church chili dinner. Since cranberries are a seasonal favorite I prepared my cranberry/white chocolate cookies and cranberry orange glazed mini loaves. Our annual dinner includes dessert for each person so I also made coconut pies. These items kept me busy for a couple days but again this was my therapy.

Then it was what to make for a progressive dinner. I had agreed to make an appetizer but again I wanted to make something different so I made little mini muffins with Gouda, Sundried Tomatoes and Maple Syrup. Yummy!! They actually seemed to have a pizza flavor to them in a little bit.

Usually my best critic is David. I can always gauge how good something is buy two things. One if he takes multiple portions; that's a good thing. If you ask him how something is and his reply is "It's alright". You probably don't want to make it again. I have been lucky he doesn't say this very often but over the years their has been a few.

It's taken me along time to learn how to cook in "bulk". Now when I really don't have too, I still do sometimes but hey their is always leftovers.

Another good point of this "therapy" is it's probably cheaper than a real therapist.