Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Driving Along Life's Highway

Unfortunately, no one is immunized from life's struggling economy. It happens far to frequently then any one of us would like to admit but we hope that we can make lemonade out of life's lemons.

Even in our little town of 23,000+ we see homeless people. Either standing at the end of the parking lot at the local Walmart or walking around town. You never know what their situations are but one of the first things I think of is I would hate to end up like them. Sometimes due to mental illness, substance abuse or sometimes just generalized reasons; it is sad.

I worked for several years blocks away from Skid Row in Downtown Los Angeles. Most would not ask for handouts but just lay on the bus benches or on the curb sides or walk down the street amongst the working class. The shelters are usually filled to capacity each night so many sleep where ever they can.

The other day David and I needed to drive to Columbia to get some things done. While we were waiting to turn onto the street from the freeway I looked to my left next to the freeway underpass where I saw a shabbily dressed man with a sleeping bag and backpack on the ground gathering his small amount of belongings. As we sat in our car I thought to myself this is all this man probably has--what is laying there on the ground. It made me think how extremely fortunate we are to have a house, food and clothes to wear.

When ever I get frustrated about the daily struggles that are so small, I think I shall think about those people I remember from my days in L.A. when I was more desensitized. I guess it's the fact as we get older and worry about life more frequently it comes to the forefront that things can happen in the blink of an eye, even driving along life's highway.

1 comment:

L S Fisher said...

Each day we should remind ourselves how fortunate we are. I some people at Walmart last week.