Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Reading Can Be Fundamental To Our Life

Reading has been an important part of my life as long as I can remember. Largely because way back when it was something my parents did when we didn't watch the limited television channels that we had in the olden days. Each week we would go to the local public library and check out books. Those adventures in storytelling made my life as an only child much more interesting. As a young girl I read the Nancy Drew Series and alot of the childhood classics. Way before the Harry Potter or Twilight Series of today it seems as though they are trying to make reading cool again.

As part of our school curriculum we had a series of literature books we were required to read then we could add others throughout the year. I don't think there hasn't been a time in my life that I didn't have a book on my bedside table. Although for some reading puts them to sleep, it doesn't for me.

My variety of subject matter is pretty extensive. I love just about any type of stories. I heard recently about how the more you read to your children when they are young their interests in reading will be cultivated. Well sorry to say it didn't happen with either of my children. Although my daughter probably reads more than my son, neither got the voracious reading habits that I have had over the years. I found out also that my biological mom was the same way. Guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

I have recently been on a biography kick. I have read several of people who grew up during my time. Marie Osmond, Valerie Bertinelli's two books and now I am reading Melissa Gilbert from Little House on the Prairie fame. I think the one truly unusual parallel to all these women with myself is how similar our families were. I don't know if it was because of the 70's or what but alot of the same things they went through was the same for me. It doesn't matter if you are a big star or a little sprinkle in the universe I guess.

Reading can be many things for many people. For lonely, only children its an escape. Knowledge is golden from any perspective. It's just a part of life. Since my blog inception I have included some of the books I have read as suggestive reading for other's. It's always wonderful to get lost in the story of other's it's amazing sometimes how it can be much like our own.

1 comment:

L S Fisher said...

I'll read three or four books at a time! Lately, I've been reading a lot of Nora Roberts and Janet Evanovich (Stephanie Plum and her sidekick Lula are a riot!)

I read a lot of nonfiction too. Books about Alzheimer's and writing top my favorites' list.