Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Monday, November 23, 2009

It's Thanksgiving It Must Be Time for Christmas

It just doesn't seem possible. We are days away from a Turkey Dinner and mixed in with all that presents are being bought, and the signs, sights and sounds of Christmas are intertwining in right along with everything.

Weeks ago I drove down one of our local streets and I passed several homes that already had their Christmas yard decorations out. Today on my way for my walk I noticed that one of the local residents who goes beyond the usual 2 or 3 yard decorations already had his 100+ (I am truly not even sure how many he puts out. I am assuming he will light them up on Thanksgiving night like many around town do.

It seems as though the ceremonial putting up of the lights gets earlier and earlier. Of course in the mid-west you have to do it "when the weather is good". Way back when we lived in California it was usually 2-3 weeks before Christmas.

As each of these little hints come to pass, I still am not their yet as far as the Christmas spirit. I guess it is different for everyone. It seems as we get older we try and keep the true meaning of Christmas in our hearts. It's not just the presents or the food. It's who you can spend this time with and remembering the religious meaning. Traditions are important and starting new traditions can be tough for those who fight changes.

Their is rumors we may have a little snow this week. Maybe that will help to kick start the holidays. What do you think?

1 comment:

L S Fisher said...

I bought two new Christmas CDs (one celtic music and the other Christmas by Candlelight) and that's helping me get in the spirit. I usually refuse to think about Christmas before Thanksgiving. I don't like to shortchange a holiday that doesn't require a lot of shopping--only a lot of eating!