Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Friday, March 12, 2010

Mrs. Goalder Goes to Washington


Well the last couple weeks have been like I would imagine the feeling of being in the eye of a tornado. I often complain of being way to busy or never having enough time for down time, but yet my down time from Thursday of last week to Tuesday of this was anything but down time.Several months ago, my friend Linda asked if I would like to accompany her and her granddaughter to Washington D.C. for the Alzheimer's Summit. She has taken her two oldest grand kids so that they can experience what some would term something only for "old people" but nothing can be far from the truth. Unfortunately, Alzheimer's is quickly climbing the ladder of the major diseases, two quickly really. We had the opportunity to visit our Missouri Senators Kit Bond and Claire McCaskill and also our Congressman for our area, Ike Skelton. All seemed really eager to support the Alzheimer's causes. With this being a busy "health reform" year I think they were probably a little more receptive than usual but you have to take what you can get and hope they are true to their words.

With my 16 years of past civil service experience in California it brought back alot of memories from dealing with government officials. To be honest alot hasn't changed, unfortunately, and I am really not sure if it ever really will but you have to keep trying over and over again. Maybe if they can know you by name like our Congress does my friend Linda, she must be doing something right. Sometimes the form letters in response to your letters or e-mails just are not enough, a face to face speaks volumes and we did with approximately 650 Alzheimer's advocates speaking to their representatives.

At least we were able to have some fun time too. I have only been in D.C. once on business with David and we were never able to be tourists. What an experience it was. People who voice their opinions about Washington without being their truly don't have any idea what a powerful feeling the city gives. To visit all that we did:

The Lincoln Memorial-It actually brought a tear to my eye to stand and look at the massive monument and see a man that was one of many who brought our country through some difficult times that people all over our country are still affected by.

Washington Memorial-Something I learned it took 82 years to build.

Vietnam Veterans Memorial-That long, black wall seemed to go for miles. 58,000 names of those that sacrificed so much and still those living that are paying the price for fighting for our country.

The World War II was the most beautiful of all the memorials and holds a special place in my heart.

Smithsonian-Hard to hit all of them but the Ruby Slippers from Wizard of Oz and Brian Boitano's Gold medal skates were worth it.

I could go on and on and I think my family has already gotten tired of the stories so far but all I can say is every American should experience a trip their. I truly think it means more if you are a mature adult who enjoys history but hopefully everyone can bring away something from an experience like I had. The weather was the most beautiful 5 days that we had all winter so we were pumped with enough Vitamin D to last us a few days.

Oh and I can't forget that the Omni Shoreham Hotel where we stayed was a historical significance also. The Beatles first performed their when they came to the US in 1964, several presidents have had their inaugural balls their and the 8th Floor Ghost Suite was four flights above our room. We did have some strange occurrence's happen, the non-believers can think what they want but with a town full of history you have to expect a few strange happenings here and their.

Walking through the Petersen House (where Lincoln died) was enough to make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck (something that happened a couple times on this trip) and the Ford Theatre where Lincoln was shot by John Wilkes Booth (no it is no relation!!) was another experience. I know I am missing some of my experiences but their was just to many.

I will always be a city girl at heart and the electricity that a large city provides helped to pump me up for a while. To coin a phrase from an Orange County Housewife "my tank was depleted and now my tank is full for a little while" until I get the urge to visit another big city.












1 comment:

L S Fisher said...

It was quite a trip, Cindy! I still laugh when I think about "door talk." But then "I Ain't Scared of No Ghost" was just wayyyyy too funny.