Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Spring Has Definitely Sprung

I have definitely cleared away the long winter doldrums that I seemed to encounter all season long. My vitamin D levels were almost what seemed non-existent in my opinion. As soon as the temperature got above 60 degrees and the sun came out my winter clothes were quickly packed away, my Capri's were on and I felt like an excited child. Sound familiar? I have spent several days out in the yard either doing some spring cleaning and planter weeding and as if I don't have enough on my plate (somehow the plate I have seems small maybe I had better upgrade to a platter) I got the bright idea to start a container garden this year.

With the high price of produce in the stores I decided why not be healthy and economical at the same time. One of the things on my honey-do lists was to clear off the patio and plan my attack of a container garden. After reading a Facebook favorite "The Dinner Garden" it put my mind into motion to start small. I have a small herb garden with basil, chives, rosemary and lavender. A couple tomato, green and yellow peppers and strawberries. I have my fingers crossed that I will have some success.

I have my childhood memories with my grandpa and our tremendous backyard farm. In those days he cleared the area, prepared the soil and I was the planter and tender. Anything you could imagine we had: squash, tomatoes, peppers, onions, beans, cabbage, carrots, radishes. A variety of fruit trees and flowers. He was the farmer Connor of the block. I have very fond memories of sitting in the midst of the dirt, pulling out a large carrot and eating it dirt and all.
Not a care in the world. We didn't do it because of the economy, we did it because it brought joy to both of us and a great sense of accomplishment. He was great friends with the horticulture teacher across the street at the junior high school so I couldn't help but feel another since of pride that my classmates across the street were also benefiting from grandpa's green thumb.

I will keep my finger's crossed that my container garden will be a success, but I will have a little help in spirit... By the way--celebrate Earth Week by planting a little something.

1 comment:

L S Fisher said...

Here's crossing my fingers for a successful herb garden!