Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Friday, May 21, 2010

Tornado Alley-Someplace You Don't Want to Be Caught in the Dark

For the early part of my life I lived where you never knew when the ground would be shaking. I lived through several earthquakes, two that were pretty damaging. The fact that you never had warning was something you just accepted. A few broken mementos and cracks in your sidewalks far easier to accept.

When we moved to "tornado alley" my goal was to find a home with a basement. Unfortunately, that didn't happen so I figured the likelihood of tornado's is like a crap shoot. In the almost 14 years I have lived in our present area we have had two close calls. Both times to look overhead and see the swirling clouds is a little frightening. Our neighborhood dodged a bullet this time, and the two that did touch down last night were reported as minor. The frequent claps of thunder and the close lightening strikes certainly didn't help my nerves. A brief knockout of our power for a couple moments wasn't encouraging either but the one good feeling was that David was hear to see me jump and squirm every time my emotions got the best of me. Yes I am a big baby I will admit and he always has a way to calm me.

A couple years ago we experience straight line winds on a return trip from the east in our big truck. The "green sky" I have always been told is an indication of bad things to come. That was not a fun experience especially after getting out of the truck and seeing the top of our trailer peeled back like a tuna can and half of our trailer roof probably miles away. No content was damaged. Thank goodness the full trailer probably saved us and David's knack for packing tight. In that instance again David's calming nature kept me from going ballistic.

Actually I usually get a little more edgy when I hear the tornado warnings. There is just something about that sound that makes my hair stand on end. Partly because there is really not alot that you can really do.

We bit the bullet again, God and Mother Nature was on our side.

1 comment:

L S Fisher said...

Spring and summer tend to be a little stormy in Missouri. Before we had sirens, it wasn't as nerve wracking. Although, if you have a little warning, you can take shelter.