Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Old Movies-They Do It Every Time

When David is home we always try and do a "date night" which usually means dinner and a movie. We try to be fair to each other and I usually like the chick flicks and he the action adventures. This time it was my turn to pick and we saw Grown Ups. It was a cute movie, which brought back memories of growing up way back when and the lessons learned. One thing I found interesting with all the comedians that starred in it was that they was really no explicit language. That is a rarity by today's standards of sex, drugs and four letter words.

Yesterday while flipping through channels I came upon an old movie that I hadn't seen for a while. It brought me back to a time as a child when Sunday afternoons was usually a movie fest and tv dinners. One movie after another starting at 1:00 and going until dinner time was usually what we did. William Holden, Cary Grant, Irene Dunne, Myrna Loy those were the actors and actresses in the 1930's, 1940's and 1950's that was a household name and one's that I grew up with in the 1970's.

Not many actor's of today come close to the glamour of those times when the glitz and glamour was a mystery to everyday people. Nothing like today's sex, drugs and problems of many of them plastered on the tv, and tabloids.

Even after seeing Love is a Many Splendid Thing with William Holden and Jennifer Jones which depicted an American with a Eurasian woman was pushing the envelope. The story itself still made me cry even after all the times I have seen it, but what can I say, I am female and most movies make me cry at the drop of a hat.

1 comment:

L S Fisher said...

Ditto on movies making me cry! Love the old movies.