Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Snow--Better Memories

We have seen our fair share of snow this year. Maybe not as much as years past but I find as I am getting older my tolerance to the non-recreational snow is getting less and less.

Growing up in California, living on the coast the only time you saw snow was when you were driving north and could see the snow on the top of the local mountains. You went to the snow, it didn't come to you. Bundling up gloves, hats, extra socks, boots, jackets, scarves I have obviously spent more on seasonal clothes in the past 14 years than I care to admit.

I actually still have hanging in my closest my first pair of suspender ski pants I bought for my first ever ski trip. I am not even sure why I have kept them all this time, I haven't been skiing in 13 years.

My first experience skiing was at 21. David and I had been dating six months when he invited me to go skiing with a few of his friends. I thought that at least with my figure skating ability I might be able to get by a little. Boy, was I surprised. I spent more time down than up but after one full day of clearing the ski run for others I finally got the hang of it. Mammoth Mountain was one of the premier lodges in Northern California and a great place to learn.

Later on trips to Lake Tahoe, Big Bear helped to get my skating legs into skiing legs. On a trip to Alaska and Vancouver BC I had big hopes of getting to ski, but with the severe fog in both places we were unable to get the chance.

Our last ski trip was to the local ski area, Big Bear the Winter of 1996. It was bittersweet because by then snowboarding was in full swing and skiing had become more difficult to maneuver because of the snowboarders as they both "shared" the mountain.

One thing I know is true, its alot better to have fun in the snow then it is to be stuck in or shoveling it..

No comments: