Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Best is Yet to Come


I seem to remember this statement in a song by Frank Sinatra but also this was a part of the Easter story at church today.

I find myself grappling frequently with my religious beliefs and it usually takes a anecdotal story to make me feel a little bit better and make me think a little harder about what I truly believe. With society and the world issues what they have been lately it sometimes makes you feel defeated. Every time the shoe drops you wonder what is going to happen next! Yes I know some of you will say this is just life, but we all have to admit life gets harder and harder to function through.

Today at church, pastor told a story about an elderly lady who loved Easter, spending time with family and having a wonderful meal on the big day. After everyone would finish eating the main meal she would never forget to tell them to keep there fork because "the best was yet to come". So it was rather fitting when this lady passed on to heaven she was buried not with a flower or religious symbol in her hand but a fork. Many at her funeral had a brief chuckle because they knew what that fork meant to her.

Easter was always enjoyable as a child. I always got dressed in my spring dress, with a hat, new shoes and knowing that after church I could hunt for easter eggs and hopefully receive a basket with some goodies inside. I passed on that tradition when my kids were little. Next year I am sure we will color eggs, hunt for them and continue that tradition with our grandchildren.

I guess it is true "the best is yet to come" both for future Easters and when we go to the next life. Happy Easter everyone!!

1 comment:

L S Fisher said...

The best is always yet to come! Hope you had a fantastic Easter, my friend.