Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

We Are What We Wear-Or Are We?

On a recent program feature about the type of clothes you wear and how they effect your life there was one statement that made me stop and think. We learn from an early age about the clothes we like and how they make us feel comfortable or how we want to be perceived. I do agree a little about this but it also made me think how times have changed drastically on clothing in general.

As a child most of my clothes were home-made. Both my mother and grandmother knew how to sew, so all of my clothes were not bought in a store. Sewing is a lost art in today's busy world. It also takes a lot of patience. Frankly, I have sewn very few items because my patience level is extremely low. At the time I disliked having clothes that were not bought in a store, because most of my friends didn't have home made clothes. Wow how many times have we not heard that saying today!

I also remember how excited I was to make my first purchase at age 12 of store bought pants. Dittos were the "in thing" in pants at a time. I had one pink and one blue pair. I remember being so excited going to school and feeling like I was just like everyone else. Times have not changed much in that respect that we want to fit in.

We usually are told to look for clothes that we like and sometimes that isn't always what we should be wearing. Years ago a co-worker and I were going shopping for a jumpsuit that I wanted to find for a very special date I was going on. I still remember her picking out a black stripped suit that at first I thought just looking at it wasn't for me, but once I put it on it was completely different on me than on the hanger. I still hear her voice in my ear sometimes when I pick out clothes. Unfortunately, now I am older but usually still gravitate to a younger look.

Climate and geography also has a big influence on what we wear. I used to wear light, clothing and only had a light jacket. Where I currently live it is sometimes very hard to find clothes that are fashionable. I also have several large, heavy coats due to the cold weather, My area is geared more to rural living and practicality more than fashion. If it's not jeans, boots and a tee shirt you probably won't find it at a local store. Driving one to two hours to a mall has become routine. Is it unfortunate to drive miles and sometimes states away just so you can have something different in your wardrobe.

Women are usually more fashion savvy than men. When I first met my husband his wardrobe was brown corduroy pants, brown boots and a brown shirt. He really had no color wheel when it came to clothing. Over the years, since I buy his clothes he has come to enjoy a new color and comment that he looks really good in that outfit. I like to say he cleans up well since he usually wears jeans and a polo shirt for his work dress.

I find that it becomes more and more difficult to find clothes that I enjoy. As I get older I want more comfort but still want something that makes me feel good, no matter my age. Not that I want to be that hot older lady, but I am sure I won't be too conservative either.

I like to think I enjoy fashion, I like color, variety and comfort like the next person but I also like to make a little of a fashion statement within reason.

1 comment:

L S Fisher said...

Don't forget the shoes!!!!