Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Monday, September 5, 2011

A Labor Day of Love



I have always enjoyed working in the yard as long as I can remember. My grandpa introduced me to gardening when I was very young. It can be very relaxing and the accomplishments obtained from it can also be quiet rewarding. Today with a hint of fall in the air was a perfect day to hit the dirt and weed and prepare the yard for the seasons to come.

Growing up in the west we had a vast aray of plants at our fingertips. My grandpa had many fruit trees, a vegetable garden and many flowers in the front of his yard. I can't think of a carnation without thinking of him and also bird of paradise makes me think of my childhood. There wasn't a time of year that you wouldn't find him puttering in the yard.

My father also had a green thumb. He was very maticulous about his yard. He had every yard tool imaginable and many weekends he would be cutting and trimming. Sometimes I felt like we lived in a jungle-like atmosphere at home because many of the plants we had were large and leafy. We also had many varieties of rose bushes, ferns and ivy plants.

One of my most favorite places is Hawaii. I haven't seen a flower there that I don't love. The fragrances are just wonderful and the colors so vibrant. One of my favorites is the plumeria. In deep pinks, oranges and varigated colors they are simple yet beautiful. Three years ago while channel surfing I stopped on QVC because the segment was on plumeria plants you could purchase and plant. You received two stocks and were not told what colors you would receive, that was just one of the surprises when your plant did bloom in three to four years from planting. Each year I go up one pot size as instructed. Each year around early fall when the temperatures reach under 55 degrees I bring the plants inside for the winter season.

This being the third yard I repeated the process in hopes that my plants would bloom. I guess all my hard work and care paid off this year. How I could get so excited for a blooming plant sounds strange I am sure but just being able to know I had a little bit of Hawaii there with me this year was happiness that was unamazinable.

My front yard has only a few potted plants each season and several hedge plants. When you have dogs who like to navigate through the yard you have to work around them when putting in plants both that are safe and easier to maintain.

With fall just around the corner the weather will turn to leaf pick up and preparing for winter. I will sit back and look at my dorminate plumerias that in hope that next year will be another wonderful blossoming year.

No comments: