Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Where Do I Fit In?

Several weeks ago, the subject of our Sunday Service was the above title.  I have struggled with this almost my entire life off and on.  I don't often quote bible verses but two really hit home for me. Hebrews 13:2,3  "Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers for thereby some have entertained angels unaware", "Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body".

It doesn't matter if you are 2 or 52, fitting in at any given situation is an important part of life and growing. When I was young many people would call me a "wallflower", Always sitting on the sidelines, observing and waiting for just the right time to get in a conversation. I still seem to put myself in that situation. Never feeling completely comfortable until I try to get to know someone fully.  I also tend to keep certain people at arms length so as not to get "hurt".  Most of the time my opinions seems to not fit in with the people I am around.

I was taught early on to be my own person something I think only child naturally do anyway.  Who else are we going to depend on or be like? To some these may only be excuses but when you are only you have an awful lot of time to reflect on your life accomplishments, expectations and misses in life.

For the past several years I have tried to make-up for not feeling welcome. I have tried new things, made people who have been in the same boat feel that they fit in and important to me. That list is short, unfortunately. By my own choosing? Probably a negative on my part. I have tried many things with a few successes. Is geography part of the problem? Yes, I think so.

I guess some of my point to why I wrote this is, Should I change who I am to make other's happy and fit in? If the cost is not believing I should do that, then NO I have a feeling I may never fit in. Sometimes even the best intentions are not enough. Aiming to please just to fit into the mold others want to have you in probably isn't worth the price I have to pay.

Prison might be the bars we put up to protect ourselves from being hurt and judged accordingly. Fitting in isn't always easy.


No comments: