Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Trying to Find Similarities in Two Different Sporting Activities- Perspective

This week two things happened, the schedule for the 2014 figure skating coverage was posted on-line and I threw myself into committing to walk at least several times a week. My excitement for the two were oh so very different.

Each day I encountered something different while walking that made my mind wander to when I figure skated that I probably wouldn't have encountered in the same way. Each time the Olympic year came around I would always think how many new people would I see come into the rink who thought they would experience the excitement of learning to skate due to watching it on television and having their hopes and dreams of becoming a star. That thought process would last well after the Olympic coverage was over and truth be told the newness wore off just a few weeks later. I had the same thoughts when I started this week on my quest to keep to my walking schedule. How long will this determination last? Hopefully, longer than just a few weeks.

The clothing attire is somewhat similar. Comfortable clothing for freedom of movement, layered for maximum protection.  Blisters are always a possibility but prevention is possible. I thought of those skaters who went "commando" (its not what you might be thinking) and didn't wear tights or socks (I do admit I tried it once and it just didn't work for me). You know you have a good workout with either activity if you can take your shoes/boots and socks off and have your feet steam.

I commented on my Facebook page on how many critters I encountered on my walk this week. Occasionally in the ice a wayward spider might be found between the frozen layers of ice only to be scrapped up by the Zamboni at a later resurfacing. 

I keep the same posture that I had when I skated while I walk. Head held high, eyes forward, back erect, the walking stride might be smaller since I would probably look pretty silly holding a long glide while walking but I make every attempt to keep the same pace during the full hour. Sometimes arm movements are included while walking much less than when skating which is always a constant.

Instead of music being played over the entire rink, I play a variety of tunes on my personal IPOD. From country, rock, alternative (think it might be a little hard to walk to Rhapsody in Blue or Tchaikovsky) but for walking and skating the tempo is still key. I find myself singing to myself sometimes when I walk something I never would have done while skating.

Pet peeves of walking: If you bring your dog, please pick up your dogs poop, (for every one person who is courteous and brings a pick up bag and I actually thanked the lady for doing so) there are three people who just let the dog do its business and leave it for others to maneuver around).  I really couldn't come up with a skating pet peeve that compared to the above.

My total miles this week for walking was 20. Unfortunately, 20 miles wouldn't even come close to getting to the closest rink to me now. Oh well, spending one hour walking clears the mind for a short time and skating did the same thing. 

I guess if that's the trade off I have to be happy with it.  



No comments: