Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Saturday, February 8, 2014

You Say Goodbye and I'll Say Hello

It seems to me the last several weeks for me has been a full schedule of this. Some good and some sad.  With a not so welcome hello our bitter cold weather seems to continue forever and added too it snow came hand in hand with it. I think the older most people get the less tolerant some get with it not only joint wise but also some of us do not do well in hibernation mode. But, unfortunately Mother Nature has her own mixed up plan and the ground hog extended winter by at least six weeks for most around the country. For my west coaster's the rain dancing must have paid of finally.

It hardly seems possible that the Beatles celebrated their 50th Anniversary together this week. Although, only two are left, their music will live on forever for many people. I was too young to really remember anything from the British invasion but I do have one Beatles album tucked away in my eclectic collection. Thanks grandpa for that one. Over the years I have enjoyed several of their top songs but probably my favorite is "Yesterday". The words to it probably are more prolific for me personally now more than ever.

For those who watch late night television an icon bid farewell. Jay Leno said nighty night for the second time. This time what seemed to be on his own terms. I never watched Johnny Carson growing up and really didn't start watching Jay Leno until about 17 years ago. Living on the west coast his show didn't start until 11:30 PST. and I was always fast asleep by then. Until a sudden jolt back in 1994 (Northridge Earthquake) did Jay become my nightly buddy. After the quake I had to have the television on and Jay and I were together for one year faithfully. After we moved I pretty much watched his show almost every night. I guess I felt he was my west coast connection. Also I will admit I did see him frequently when I would skate at the Burbank ice rink. The studio was right down the street and sometimes I could see him driving around in some of his crazy, unique vehicles. I remember once he was stalled at an intersection in his vintage fire truck. People were honking and waving.

 I have watched Jimmy Fallon and he seems to be a good fit for the changing times. Although I do see some similarities. Time will tell.



 Warsaw Dam 2009

My last physical goodbye isn't truly a goodbye forever though. This past week I said see you later, to a good friend.  We have been friends for 6 1/2 years, and although we won't be just down the street anymore social media and the traditional phone call will be our way of keeping the lines of communication and our friendship alive.




No comments: