Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Follow the Leader

When I was in school when it was time to go out and play in the school yard or go to eat in the cafeteria, the usual drill was boys line up in one line and girls in another. Usually in size order I was pretty close to the front of the line. At that point I doubt if I thought of myself as a leader except that for size order that's where I ended up.

Throughout my life I have been put into situations where I have been in charge of various things. Some by choices, other's not so much. We all have those opportunities to put forth our ideas or beliefs that we hope others willingly will follow.

I can remember my parents saying their are two types of people: leaders and followers. Their constant definition was that leaders gather information, present it to others and hopefully the rest of the people involved will go along with it, without too much question. The followers didn't always care what the information was they just followed everyone else either because they didn't care to provide input or to be a part of the decision makers group they just wanted to fit in. How many times did we here, "If John jumps of the roof are you going to do it?"

This past Sunday the pastors' sermon was entitled: "Follow the Leader". It was very fitting that the message was such due to the last several weeks being bombarded with the choices of leadership issues in my life.

As children growing up our "leaders" are our parents or caregivers.  We are taught in the bible to honor our mother and father. At what point does that sometimes change? When they are unable too? When what they do may not be in their best interest? It's a slippery slope and the elephant in the room that most either don't want to face or feel it is not their place too.

In politics we are constantly told to pick a party. In the last several elections it has become very difficult to pick any specific party. It's a grocery list of items that all make up how my beliefs are and I seriously don't feel all they provide is in my personal best interest.

I often mention while driving around where I live and I see a pasture full of cows, when one starts walking do you notice the other cows often  follow? I have been told that cows are not very intelligent.

Now with social media like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and all the others we "follow" each other. A little strange? Maybe. Times are definitely different. I don't want someone to just "follow" me I want them to engage in conversation, comment and not just "Like". Especially when I am aware not everyone agrees.

If by following something or someone goes against how you morally feel, my advice is you better really question why? Don't do it because it is the easy way out or because you think other people will think better of you. It usually works against you and it becomes really difficult to clean up the mess that is created in the end and believe me as the leader all the negatives will fall on your shoulders because the followers will go on to someone or something else.

Lead with the right foot or in my case my left foot.  










No comments: