Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Friday, January 17, 2014

Phone Calls from Above

How often  have you picked up the phone and no one answers? That happens often now with robo calling, more than we care to waste our time with I'm sure. Recently, author Mitch Albom who wrote "5 People you Meet in Heaven" and" For One More Day" has written a new book dealing with the heavens. "The First Phone Call from Heaven" is about a small town in Michigan and their residents who suddenly get phone calls from loved one's who have passed away.

They say you write about what you know, but since Mitch Albom is definitely alive I wonder how he comes up with all these heavenly related stories.

I have heard of people who have crossed over and then came back but you can really either only believe or take their word what heaven is really like.

During his interview about his new book, Mr. Albom was asked who would be one of the first one's you would want to hear from? His was "Tuesday's with Morrie" professor Morrie Schwartz from his alma mater Brandeis University. He said his first question would be, "Well how do you think I've done?".

I really pondered this myself. Although I haven't read his new book yet it made me really think about all the people who have passed on that either I didn't get to have that one last conversation with. Not that I would now expect any answers to any of my burning questions but many of the people at the top of the list have been gone for many years.

My grandpa died when I was still a teen so he would definitely be one of the top on the list. Probably the first thing I would say would be "Now I really understand". The wisdom of the years that have passed since his death puts so much of my life growing up into a little clearer perspective on things he did or didn't share.

Another person would be my biological mother. We had so few actually conversations before her death, Whether or not she would actually answer the questions I would pose, well I'll never know.  One of my co-workers in one of my first positions was a second mom during my period of "awakening". We lost touch toward the end of her life and I always regretted not talking as often as we should have.

I guess until I actually read the book and come to my own conclusions on the story outcome my one piece of advice I have even before reading it is this...True friends no matter how many quotes you may read elsewhere you stay in touch with. Face to face conversation is so much more than a text or e-mail. Even a quick hand written note means more than nothing at all. It's one thing if there are miles between you but believe me the effort that is made means so much. Time is precious but so are friendships.

Don't sit by the phone and wait for that call from above, make the resolution to reach out and touch your friends--they will love you for it. 

1 comment:

Tomie said...

Well said. Count your blessings and always let those you love, the people you care about, how much they mean to you; how much you appreciate them.