Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Out Like a Lamb, In Like a Lion? 2014-2015

Usually this adage is set aside for springtime. I just decided to use it now because at this point it looks like it could be a very, very long winter in the Midwest. I have my fingers and toes crossed that it will whiz by without too much of an issue, but I am a realistic and pessimistic person.  So far with all the illnesses and uproar the last few weeks  it looks like if you are a gambling person it could be a real crap shoot. One wonderful positive note was an addition of a first grandson and announcement of another grandson on the way in 2015.

For the last several months social media, news and just personal observations have been littered with anger, unrest, varied opinions, violence, etc. Don't think I haven't noticed or have my own opinions, I do. Yes, our society needs change but society is also going about it in a very destructive way that will only make matters worse.  How much worse does it have to get before it gets better? Only time will tell.

 I have personally experienced many "isms" in my lifetime.  Where I grew up it was very ethnically diverse but not without being called whitey, honky, cracker and the spanish slang "puto/puta". At the time my only thought was yes it bothered me but you took it on the chin so too speak and went on about your day and life.  One of the "consider the source" situations. Once I went into the working world at the time I figured name calling would be a thing of the past.  I figured "grownups" were much more adult and didn't treat issues the same. Sadly I was wrong. It then became more competitive and chauvinistic.

One of my first unfortunate experiences with  a co-worker I will probably never forget.  Each year at this time she would grab her calendar and pick all of the days off throughout the year that usually included Christmas and other holidays. One year it became a battle of wills between her and another co-worker on who would take off the two weeks of Christmas and New Years. It didn't really matter to me at the time because I was not married or didn't have children and they both did. The situation went on for several days and finally the one lady decided to basically give in to the seniority worker. Unfortunately, what the senior worker said I  wish I hadn't heard. Another co-worker asked her if she had finally decided what days she would get off. Her comment, "oh yes we were down to the wire but hey if "whitey" gives I take.

Societies peaks and valleys really haven't changed much over the years in that you have your tough times, tough nuts to crack, some nuts are not worth your time and effort, issues change for the good, some heartaches will pop up when you least expect and joy will come in little clouds when the rain or snow falls. Things will change if you want it to. Those who don't want some form of change will sadly be lonely beings.


Photo in Dana Point, CA Photo by Tony Tribolet

Growing up in California we were just a few miles away from beaches in any given direction. Although my visits when living their were few, I always knew it was their and a car ride away. The picture above was taken by a client  in California. Several years ago when I saw this picture he posted on Facebook I told David the next time he saw Tony to tell him how beautiful this picture was that he captured.  I was very touched when unexpectedly he sent me a copy. Today, it proudly hangs in our family room on ironically a west facing wall. Even though I am miles away I can look to the west and see the sunset on the beach. This is probably the only thing in life you can truly count on.

The sun will always rise in the east, and set in the west.  I hope the lion of winter will keep its roar quietly like a lamb for 2015 and think before it strikes.


No comments: