Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Coloring Your World-- No Staying within the Lines Required

If you are like I was as a kid I had Crayola's and coloring book's to keep me occupied. It was one of my favorite past times in childhood. Whether it be a rainy day, or no kids to play with which happens often for only children, a coloring book can provide hours upon hours of fun. My early pictures were I am sure scribbles all over the page with no concept or reasoning. Then as I got older I came up with my own technique of color schemes and outlining the pictures. Somewhere down the line I decided to add the date then my picture was complete.

Back then I figured coloring books were invented by someone who knew that not everyone could be a free-handed artist, for which I am definitely NOT.

The closest I ever came to artistic design was as a figure skater. In school figures you could draw a figure eight with or without a scribe and follow the intricate pattern. In ice dancing each dance has a pattern to follow and most if looked at in a book or up close on the ice you can determine what dance it is.  Each skater's routine is usually plotted out with precise steps by a coach and choreographer.  Go to iceskatingresources.org or usfsa.org to check ice dancing/compulsory figure diagrams. They are not as detailed as they were at the start of figures but still a lost art of sorts since figures are no longer a requirement (sad but true).

Another fascinating use of coloring or art therapy is used for Alzheimer's patients. Used as an alternative therapy, The Alzheimer's Association of Orange County (AAOC) and artist Selly Jenny and Marilyn Oropeza developed Memories in the Making art program. This program works with persons with dementia and helps them express themselves through art when they otherwise may have little or no communication skills.  For some patients this outlet of expression has opened doors that were otherwise closed due to this terrible disease. Training sessions are available and additional information about this program is available by going to the alz.org website. Many chapters around the country are participating in this program.

Recently I came across several articles on adult coloring books. These are not just ordinary books. Most have themes as the one's I purchased below on Amazon. They have a wide variety of prices and styles to chose from. Other's are large scale posters with thin, fine lines that sadly even the older adult eyes might have difficulty in completing. Pull out that trusty lighted magnifying glass if you tackle those books!

Pinterest also has pinners who have started coloring book boards (myself included). Most pages you can print out and add your own unique colors too. Also the coloring craze seems to have a wide variety of printable pages available for free you just have to know where to look.


To keep with my connection to my figure skating roots a few months ago I found that former Two Time Olympic and World Champion Tai Babilonia was in the process of developing her own coloring book.  So far the pictures on her Facebook page "Tai Art" looks like it will be a fun one to add to my collection. I look forward to its release soon. 

Coloring is great therapy for any age, it can be a calming way to get your mind off hectic schedules or just a bad day in general.  I guarantee  your kids and grandchildren may want you to share your colors with them. It's your choice to stay within the lines, but it isn't required. 

Tai's Facebook Page is "Tai Art".

No comments: