Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Friday, December 18, 2015

The Star Wars Saga Flash Forward to Flash Back

Just to clarify to all those who love the Star Wars Saga--sadly, I am not a fan. Lets start with when I was  thirteen my Dad retired from the Fire Department. One of his many activities to fill in his free time was going to see movies. Most of the time he went by himself but sometimes as was what our family of three motto was; if he wanted to do it, we all did it. Don't get me wrong, I love movies just not this particular type.

Flash to the opening of the first Star Wars. I don't know that the hype of today happened back then, my guess is no.  I had to look up when the original actually opened, thinking maybe they opened this one to coincide with the first but, nope again the original opened May 25, 1977.  As a sixteen year old girl my idea of fun wasn't going to the movies with Dad but guess what we went to see? I remember the time distinctly because I had a terrible, ear infection and head cold, hard to believe May in California would create such a perfect storm. I remember I could barely hear and my head throbbed from sinus pressure. The only seats available were pretty much in the first couple rows of the packed theater. Go figure.  The only impressive thing I remember is the musical score. I knew as soon as I heard the opening music that every other person would be skating to routines to it in the near future. Did you doubt that this post would have some sort of skating connection?

Now cut to Christmas season of 2015 the first in an almost five year new generation of movies starting. Articles in the newspaper, cards and action figures in the store. Thank goodness no one in our family put Star Wars requests on Santa's list this year probably because they are too young to appreciate and truth be known I think after only a few days if I hear one more utterance I may implode. Could it be that my sinus have been bothering me the last few days? Brings back uncomfortable memories of childhood? Thanks George Lucas, putting you on the naughty list. Bah Humbug.

1 comment:

L S Fisher said...

My kids wanted to see it so we went to the drive-in. They both fell asleep before it was over. My youngest grandson loves all things Star Wars. I think that was from seeing the original on TV.