Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Saturday, January 2, 2016

Milestones of 2015-Better Late than Never

December, 4, 2016

I was scanning my posts recently and one: I noticed I was a little behind on my postings. It is been a storm of such lately and certain things get put on the back burner. Also while scrolling down I noticed that I had not undrafted  (not the correct word but I am using it) my year end for 2015. It was strange to read all that happened and also to be close to the end of 2016. So what the heck, I look at it this way, what a difference a year makes! I hope I am better at summarizing 2016. Boy it was a whopper!

2015

Another year has come and gone. When I looked on the listing for how many posts I wrote this year I was slightly saddened. A total of 22 posts for the entire year. Gee was it because my life seemed sometimes boring? Was I super busy? Could I find nothing noteworthy to write about? Well all of the above, if that is at all possible. I struggled sometimes to not write about the negatives and more about the positives. Not easy for this Scorpio.

I get a chuckle when someone makes the comment about retirement or taking life slower. More power to you if you can do it.

 One of the first things I set out to do this year was keep up my smaller Christmas tree out all year. Why you ask?  The previous year I had seen several places about trying something different.  Since it is usually up for such a short time (decorations went up slightly later than normal this year due to scheduling) but I did manage to cover just about every holiday and a few of my own ideas. I don't have it down yet but it was fun to do something different. If your on Pinterest check out my "Do Something Different and New Ideas 2015". The list I wrote about earlier in the year was pretty long and unfortunately, I was able to do only a few on the list, but at least the thought was there to at least do a few.

As if I don't have things to keep me busy I also got heavily involved in adult coloring books as a way to keep my mind on positive, creative things. I had read and seen them all over the Internet but what really got me going with it was my on-line correspondence with Tai Babilonia. Earlier in the year she had mentioned on her website how she was in development of a ice skating related coloring book. Well if that didn't peak my interest! We started messaging each other about when the launch would be sometime later in the year and in time they came out. Take a look back on my blog about that experience. I was so blessed to get one of the first autographed copies and she spotlighted some of my pages on her Facebook and website. What an honor to have one of your skating idols that you quietly shared the ice with and thanks to social media are able to connect with.

As far as family, we had many celebrations. Our second grandson joined the other three little people in the family. Gentry Ellis is a carbon copy of his sister and his Dad and makes our grandchildren package of two and two complete. I love even numbers,

Our oldest granddaughter Hadleigh had a milestone of starting Kindergarten. Actually, it just wasn't her milestone it was all our milestones. Being involved in school activities I thought had ended for me years ago. But, we enjoy our daily pick-up and its interesting all of these years later to see how parents deal with their children and school. It was much more organized and calm back when my children went. They have a long way to come but at least it provides much entertainment and conversation that I am sure they would be embarrassed if I touched on any of it. Think a lot of growing up of kids and parents will go hand in hand. Our second granddaughter started Preschool recently and she has also provided I am sure much dinnertime conversation between her parents as well. As they say out of the mouths of babes.

Milestone number three was provided by my father in law. Although, the lifespan of people is longer I doubt if he thought he would reach the ripe age of 90. I posted about it back in September about the man of few words. How he made it, we are all at a lose. He has been through good times and many hard times the last several years. Each day is a blessing.

One issue that has been on my radar pretty much since I can remember is Women's Equality. The soapbox came out more and more again this year (not surprisingly). The Oscar's provided a platform once again when Oscar Winner, Patricia Arquette gave a wonderful speech. It was all over social media and once she started the ball rolling I found myself back on the ball again after several years of throwing in the ball and towel.  It started going into a new direction in my abilities to start further conversations about the issue which seemed to go off.  I was asked if I would contribute to our women's organization Facebook page as a co-administrator to keep our group up-to-date on our activities. There is such a wide range of topics on the Internet that my knowledge and postings provided probably more information then they bargained for. If that wasn't enough, several months ago since I guess I was doing such a great job, our State organization President asked if I would consider taking over the State Facebook page. I do the same with it but try to stress how important it is to continue to grow our group and bring it into the 21st century. We have to be willing to learn new things and step out of the box (gee didn't I say this same thing back in 2010!) As someone said during a conversation about how I was an administrator/maintaining four total sites on Facebook, Wow are you just the Internet Guru! I prefer Media Maven myself.

We all usually wear many hats, and for this person who actually dislikes wearing hats I try and tackle whatever comes my way. Sometimes it is kicking and screaming but I hope 2016 bring on more interesting adventures and hopefully I will be able to push my eight year blog as well into the 21st century. That would be a great milestone for 2017!




. Social media and butterfly merged.


Monarch Powell Gardens 2015

No comments: