Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Not Just Any Broken Teacup

The beginning of the New Year brings putting away Christmas decorations and putting back your usual decor. As in every year I always say after taking down the holiday decorations how "bare" everything usually looks. Even if you rearrange it stills seems a little lonely for a while. Usually each time I try and pack things pretty well but somehow this year I had one upsetting disaster. While unpacking one container I noticed one of my old family heirlooms got broken. My fault, I take full responsibility but it brought a little tug to the heart.

I have but a few mementos from my adopted grandma I grew up with. When she was still alive she would have little packages for me when I would visit her in her later years. She knew that the way the family dynamic had evolved that whatever she wanted me to have or that I had admired over time she would have to give to me on her own. Her sister, my Aunt Irene was a feisty gal. She was a smoking, opinionated woman who said it like it was. She was definitely the flip side of my grandma in many ways. She lost my uncle when I was around seven and never re-married but was always the life of any party.  One of her many hobbies was china painting. Both she and my grandma had cabinets of the different creations she made. Teacups, plates, bowls and a beautiful large vase.  Each year when I visit our State Fair I always walk through the building that houses the exhibit for china painting. It brings back great memories.

About six months before Aunt Irene died I remember the difficulties she lived with.  She would call my grandma numerous times during the day to ask her to read the T.V. Guide. It would frustrate my grandma so much and usually the conversations would end up in arguments and hang-ups. Of course, later she would call back asking about something else and my grandma would go over the previous conversations and she wouldn't remember the conversations and sometimes not even who my grandma was.  It came on suddenly, without warning. The only thing I remember my grandma saying was "your Aunt Irene is getting senile".  Now we know it by another name; Alzheimer's. Her situation quickly progressed. Her family put her in a facility and she passed within three months.

My friend Linda who I have known for over 10 years lived with the journey for more than just months. Her blog; Early Onset Alzheimer's started with stories about her husband, Jim and their journey. Now years later, she has been an advocate, ambassador, "guru" and writer about the disease. Each year for the last several years in mid-December her blog has been nominated for Healthline's Best Blog of the Year Contest. for 30 days one vote per Facebook and Twitter accounts are tallied and 1st Place Winners receive $1,000 and 2nd and 3rd Place receive $500. 

 I have to admit it has been a great diversion the past month posting comments and sharing with long time friends some who have had family members that have passed, friends who are healthcare worker's who have experience in it hands-on and just people who have want to see more done to help  her on her quest.  
 
Oh the teacup, I managed to glue it back together.  Still a little chip on it but now I have decided to put in my china cabinet for safer keeping.   The connections of Alzheimer's are endless. The little purple teacup, humm interesting that the cup is Alzheimer's Purple?

For more information on Alzheimer's:  www.lsfisher.com  You can also go there to vote for her blog until January 21st.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

It's upsetting to break such a precious item but I'm glad you are able to glue the teacup back together. What a pretty momento. China is fragile like elderly folks.
My mom had Alzheimer's but it was cancer that claimed her life in the end. I miss her and her sense of humor.