Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Barbie Era--Oh How She has Changed

Now that school has started, summer is almost over.  This year was a little more of a challenge since I had a little helper, my granddaughter during the day. She can be a great help but also that ugly word would come up called "bored". We did the usual things to occupy her time, a week at bible school, a week at kids summer activities through the local college for several sessions, day trips to some of the local landmarks (yes we have a couple), but sometimes just staying home was on my list.

Toward the end of the summer she came one day and mentioned that her mom had talked with her the night before about her mom's Barbie collection in the attic. So of course she had to see them. Papa graciously complied and brought down the box. I think we both were glad to have one more item out of the attic. My first concern was yes they had been packed up but also the attic gets pretty hot during the summer so wasn't sure what condition they might be in.

In our find, I also came across my own small Barbie Collection.
I didn't play with Barbie's at my granddaughter's age of 6 I was slightly older but what few I had were tucked away in the carry case that my grandpa had bought. As I slowly opened my box it was like opening a time machine. Vintage clothes that my mom and grandma had sewn, the velvet blue gown with sequins hand stitched, the flashy Ken slacks, the knee high plastic boots, brought me way back.

Some of the Barbie's were fused to the box because of heat but after a little tugging they came off, none the worse for wear.  It was special to be able to hand down my treasures along with my daughter's slightly more modern 90s models to my granddaughter. It was one day that went on and on with clothes, and accessories from one end of the floor to the other but was a wonderful summer experience. I am pretty sure they will be played with for many more years to come.

My skating Barbie collection will remain, in the boxes in the cabinet only for our eyes to see.

No comments: