Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

To Observe National Peace Day You Must Have Peace, Really?

Almost every day on social media a day is set aside as some special day to observe. National Ice Cream Day, National Pie Day, Pizza Awareness Day, My Favorite Color is Purple Day. Yes, I am being rather sarcastic on a day that first popped up as National Peace Day.

Our universe has gotten so that finding peace within and even out and about is getting more difficult. Along with the Autumn Equinox, full moon syndrome it seems like every time each year around this time things begin to go a little haywire. Is that why this day was set aside as National Peace Day? I am not sure but peace in the valley, home, office, where ever you might request it, gets more difficult it seems.

Each day after picking up my granddaughter I try and ask some non-traditional questions along with the usual one's. How was your day? What did you eat for lunch? What was your favorite thing to do today? Sometimes it gets a little challenging to pull things out of this six year old. I'm sure she isn't any different then every other kid but these challenges are not exactly fun for this MiMi. Today was also Picture Day at school. To have that day paired with National Peace Day must have been a joke in our area because I am sure that several parents this morning tore hair out from their heads on what the child should wear and look like. Thank goodness my granddaughter informed me that her pictures were early this morning so we wait with baited breath on how they turned out. I am sure they turned out well.

Along with the conversation of picture day, she informed me that they had Stranger Danger Drills. I really didn't need or want an explanation of this but I listened to her.

My age and thinking kicked in. When I was in school we had earthquake and fire drills. Oh how things change. How sad it has come to the fact that kids can hardly be kids the way they were mean't to be.

Peace in the Valley is hard to come by these day. Grab those peaceful moments not just today but everyday you can. Look at a sunset or sunrise (if you want to get up that early), turn off the devices in your life, meditate, listen to music, coloring book therapy, whatever it takes.  Be it a moment or a day. everyone requires a little peace. 

Do a little celebrating of peace today.  I chose not to have a picture of the old peace sign I grew up with so a peace lily will work just fine.


No comments: