Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

The Joy of Going to a Library--Not Just to Read Books

One thing that I inherited from my grandmother and mother was the love for reading. That was one fascinating thing I learned after finding my biologic roots. That precious time with a book is a great connection to have. I have the pleasure of knowing two librarians. One is a young enough to be my daughter the other is around my age, but both I consider my friends. I have learned great things from each woman, both with differing knowledge.

When I was a kid I had go to authors I would read during the summer months, in between my time at the ice rink. You  could read between sessions, read in the car (some find that unmanageable but I don't have a problem). I read books dealing with skating history or how to books. Unfortunately, even today the only way you can learn skating is doing not by reading a book. Many former figure skaters have written books on a journey and struggles while skating or after but all in all you can learn so much by reading. My library card has been like my license, I have had it longer than my license but I use it all the time.

But having access to the library just isn't about reading books. For instance, our library has many different programs available I have learned just in the last year. They didn't always have them but social media and a little bit of hard work by the Outreach Program Librarian, Patty Long she is making it happen.


I can see that the times have changed since going to the library as a kid. The still have the card catalogs, but now they are on computers. You can still find things in the archives in most libraries but most things are at your fingertips.

Patty had events: Walk and Read in the Park, Trivia Day, and a Recycled Book Project and has many wonderful ideas planned in the coming months. With a little help from others I can see our library being the go to place for more than just reading, again.
 A little bit of trivia, the Sedalia Public Library was the first library in Missouri that was awarded a $50,000 grant  from Andrew Carnegie to be built. It is on the Missouri Registry of History Places and went through a renovation a few years ago.

I actually like to pick the brains of both librarians in my life because they are so different. Each has a specialty type of book to read and although there are certain books they each of them dislike, sometimes it takes that open mind to maybe find a new path to forge. I know personally having either talked with each of them or since my young librarian is on Goodreads, I know what books she would like to read and what she has read and sometimes go off that list for my own suggestions. With Patty she has recommended some that I also wouldn't have thought of since I started going to the Book Club at the Library a few months ago. 

So while the weather is hot, or when the fall weather approaches, if you haven't visited your local library. Stop by they may have a program you can get involved in.  I still refer to my childhood library the Wilmington Public Library in the Los Angeles Public Library System or where I live now Sedalia Public Library in Sedalia MO. Both have Facebook pages and obviously the Los Angeles Public Library has many branches throughout the area. You don't have to be a reader but you never know you might find something that peaks your fancy.

No comments: