Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Monday, July 18, 2016

The Town that Painted Rocks 2016

Isn't it funny how an idea can get started with a snap of a finger? We will do just about anything to get our kids and ourselves doing something constructive or artistic as this case seems to have turned into. Just last week the Pokemon Go became a weirdly strange activity for individuals and families to get involved in.   Actually, while getting some troubleshooting tips from the computer technician at Staples last week, our conversation included whether or not I was seeking Pokemon characters.  I told him I thought I was too old for that but when he was impressed with my knowledge of other social media sites, I felt much better. I guess it is not so strange to those who liked Pokemon cards way back when. But long before Pokemon Go,  someone in town had an idea called Sedalia Rocks. It already has its own Facebook page Sedalia Rocks-MO Official and has reached over 1,200 likes.

Already so popular that one of our newspaper reporters is considering a story about it. While most are listening to political banter, horrific news stories around the world and  all the papers and television is focused on very little positivity, it is refreshing to be able to do something artistic yet fun for everyone.


Now this rocky activity has taken on a whole life of its own. Where to get the rocks. How to paint the rocks. What to paint on the rock, make sure you spray the rock with clear coat. (Yes, I have already started to paint one with a figure skate on it, although I will have to find a creative place to hide that fits with it.) I hopped on the rock painting wagon a little early on. Our first rock was a large orange one with a pink butterfly on it. Although we have never heard if it was actually found or re-hidden my story I like to put behind it is--just like a butterfly they come and go from out of know where.

 Some put more time than others into this and although their are official "rules" set aside, really I think the sky is the limit to this activity.  This has become a summer phenomenon in our little town, but I have heard it is also taking off in other towns around the country. A little bit of a scavenger hunt, with color and imagination all rolled into one little or large rocks, smooth or bumpy, you decide.  Also check out Pinterest for the artist in you and check out the varieties available.

Yes, several people snicker at you when they ask "have you jumped on the Sedalia Rocks bandwagon?" Well they may laugh but don't be surprised if you see them in the dark of night, or at noontime with a rock in hand ready to launch that clue on the official Sedalia Rocks MO Facebook page. Thanks to all those who are participating and making it a fun and easy addition to many in town.  I hope it continues on and on and on--one rock at a time.



No comments: