Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

"What Came First the Chicken or the Egg?"

It says alot if you can make the comment I saw something at the Post Office I had never experienced. You may ask what this has to do with the title of this blog but..read on..

I made the weekly trip yesterday to the post office to mail off a couple items and check our box. I stood in line to have the postage checked on my letters and two women were in line behind me. They were speaking what sounded like Ukraine or some Russian dialect. When they reached the counter they indicated what they were to pick up. The clerk left and returned with a rather large box with holes in it and hay spilling out of it and lots of "chirping" coming from the box. Apparently you can send "fowl" through the postal service. (I am assume these were baby chicks) This was new too me and rather surprising. Especially since 9/11 you literally have to go through a litany of questions when you are mailing anything due to explosives, leakage, flammable, perishable need I go on you get it. So I was shocked that you can do this.

Fast forward to today as I was on my way to the college for my power walk. A Dept. of Transportation truck was stopped on the highway, two guys jump out, one with a shovel the other to direct traffic so the shoveler could scoop up a dead chicken on the road.

We have a Tyson chicken plant outside town and trucks are notorious for spilling chickens (alive or dead) on the highway. It gets to be a constant complaint to the local papers and does seem rather inhuman. Of course the way they kill them before we get them on our dinner plate bothers alot of individuals also but just was interesting after my episode yesterday.

It was sad to think those cute little chirping chicks have a unfortunate destiny.

So, "What comes first?" Either way you look at it was a strange observation..

1 comment:

L S Fisher said...

Cindy, I saw the exact same thing in the post office a few months ago! I couldn't believe those little chicks came through the U.S. Mail.