Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Sunday, December 13, 2009

As the World Turns, Everything Else Must Change

, Another piece of history is going to bite the dust. This week another of the daytime soap operas said it will call it quits next September. As the World Turns was another of the long running daytime soap programs that started many moon's ago and will cease to be a part of women's and men's lives on a daily basis. Just this past September another of the daytime soaps bit the dust. Guiding Light had started on the radio as a 15 min program way back in the day when people who listen to the radio as we today watch our televisions.

My grandmother did it, my mother did it and I have to admit soaps have been a part of my life since I was little. I can remember both my mom and grandma ironing clothes and watching what the lives of the Bauer's from Guiding Light or the Hughes families from As the World Turns fame and others and what turmoils their lives were in.

My kids can remember a time when their babysitter would watch soaps feed them their lunch, put them down for naps.

Some think it is a waste of time but those that do are usually closeted watchers. I have to say over the past several years my watching has decreased. Oh yes you really don't have to watch on a daily basis because truly the stories really don't ever change. This one sleeping with that one, but over the years the storylines have gotten more steamy and subject matter that fifty or sixty years ago wouldn't have even be uttered is now not as big a deal. Gay partnerships, addictions, abuse the list goes on.

It will be sad because it will be another link to what my grandma and mom's had in their lives so long ago. But times must change. Just keep telling yourself that and maybe you will get used to it.

I will enjoy what little time is left of As the World Turns.

No comments: