Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Not Always a Walk in the Park

Two years ago I began a quest to get back into better shape. Since moving to MO 12 years ago my figure skating routine went seriously by the wayside since the closest rink is over an hour away so I started walking. First it was just around the neighborhood but since the weather doesn't always permit walking outside, I then started going to the track at the local community college. That gets boring and hard to walk at a consistent speed when you are jockeying around people. But needless to say I try and get out at least 4 times a week for an hour.

Something that definitely helps to perk one's mood up is the fact that outside walking you have the chance to see the seasons changing. I am more of a spring/summer person and as fall has begun here in full swing just the fact that by walking you are not only becoming more healthy but it helps to take your mind off other things in your life.

The good part since I have gotten more active is that I have lost 30 lbs. With walking and changing my eating patterns (I don't like the word "diet" anymore I chose to use lifestyle change) It isn't hard once you put your mind to it and have noticed it has helped with sleeping, and overall I feel better too...

1 comment:

mcgeant said...

Good for you Cindy! Seems like the only exercise I get is walking my dog Reba. At least I do that twice a day. I'm not much for going to the gym, but should get back to working out to my videos at home. They say it's never too late!