Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Alzheimer's Unconditional Love- My Friend Linda Fisher


First, this week I have a feeling will be a time of daily blogging for me. I have alot to cover.

I had the distinct pleasure of accompanying one of my favorite people and a great friend, author and literally a woman of many hats last night to one of her speaking engagements on a topic that is close to her heart that only she can express.

Linda Fisher is deeply involved in Alzheimer's in many ways. She has written much about it, been a spearhead in the chapter in our area, has been to Washington D.C. countless times to push for the rights of those with the disease and the families affected by it. I know she is not done with her fight on behalf of one special person that she lost to this unkind disease. Her husband Jim was taken much to young, at the age of 59 after 10 years of a brave battle with Alzheimer's. I never had the chance to meet him but have heard many stories and can recommend any of her writings that tells deep, poignant memories of a past that was quickly erased from the love of her life. He couldn't ask for a better spokeswoman and I guess you can tell she has become a special person to me.

Her Alzheimer's Anthology of Unconditional Love-The 110,000 Missourian with Azheimer's was a work of love not only from her but for those who submitted the stories to make this book possible. When I bought my copy her inscription to me was "Cindy, Blessings as you read these true stories". I have since supported Linda and other's by walking in two Memory Walks.

My connection to this disease is small. My aunt on my adoptive grandma's side died from it in the late 70's when the title "Alzheimer's" really wasn't used. Today David's aunt has battled with it for several years and each day it takes a little bit away from someone who always gave of herself without thinking.

Each day that I forget where I put something or repeat myself in a story, I can only hope this disease will never be a closer part of my life.

Linda you are an angel and your "prince" appreciates all you did for him when he couldn't and what you still provide to those around you..... Love ya

No comments: