Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Sunday, November 16, 2008

What is Our Destiny?

Each week when I have enough energy to attend church (almost every week) I always look forward to what the sermon might be. Our new pastor has made efforts to bring something each week that will make us take thought, and maybe grow spiritually. Some hit home, other's go foul for me but today was a first in all of the years I have attended church.

What is our Destiny? I know I hope that I go to heaven. I'm not perfect by any stretch of the word and I also know that how we get to heaven depends on much more. I have made many mistakes over the years, and have also learned from a lot of those mistakes I have made. I try to think before I speak, (Not always easy for those who know me), I try not to judge (another thing that is hard sometimes and a work always in progress).

I looked the definition up in the dictionary and several made me take pause. 1-The inevitable or necessary fate to which a particular person or thing is determined; one's lot 2-The preordained or inevitable course of events considered as something beyond the power or control of man (or woman) 3 fate. (Wow how many times have I used fate as a reason)

There was also a quote by Robert Burton "Marriage and hanging go by destiny". Wow I think if I had my choice marriage would be better than a hanging. I always say it was fate that brought David and I together. Even after over 25 years together I find I learn more and more everyday.

Fate for me has always been a factor in my life for as long as I can remember. will get into that another time.

But getting back to the sermon, pastors' basic message was hopefully each one of us our destiny will be to go to heaven. Almost at the end of the sermon pastor made a comment that every persons destiny is different and today one of our parishioners destiny is to sleep through his sermon. (We have several who sometimes take a little catnap but pastor actually called this person out by name). Some chuckles and some I think maybe embarrassment by some of his family members but nothing serious. This was a first for me!

As we left church and each one of us shook hands with pastor I told him in all the years of attending church this was a first for me that someone got called out for sleeping. He laughed and said that he knew he could get away with it with this gentlemen.

I myself remember many times falling asleep as a child, and truth be told I have almost nodded off myself.

Our destiny, we all have a part in what path we take. My road has had many roadblocks, I've tried to keep my path smooth but sometimes I am not always in control of my life's destiny. I can only hope that someday I will end my journey where all the other special people in my life have hopefully ended there journey too.

1 comment:

L S Fisher said...

I'm so glad it wasn't you that was sleeping!