Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Doing my Civic Duty on this Autumn Day

Well I like probably millions of other Americans today did my civic duty and voted. I wrestled back and forth for week upon week, weighing the issues that were important to me personally, tried to disregard all the mudslinging, and down and dirty tactics that all the candidates exhibited and somehow found the appropriate way to go. I will probably question my decisions but the more I thought and pondered about it the more I knew I had to vote. Down deep I knew that if I just passed this election by it would tug at me forever.

This is the first time in voting that I had this difficult of a time deciding. I know it was due to many reasons: economy being the major one, of course other components came into play also but it basically all came down to that. Also so much has changed in the world and society since I first cast my vote at 18.

Experience has also been a big factor for me, I guess in part because you really have to be experienced in my opinion to take on all the issues to run this country. I know it is time for change: whatever that is, hopefully all changes are good, but unfortunately I think it is going to be a very tough road ahead regardless.

In alot of ways, this entire past two year campaign drama reminded me of when I was in school. I know we all remember when our friends were running for student council offices. They would promise to have better school lunches, promise better access to playground equipment, promise to make sure that the grounds were kept clean, and basically promised all kinds of things that when push came to shove, in the end after they got into office it just wasn't possible to do everything they said they would.

Only time will tell but, unfortunately I am a glass half empty kinda girl....

2 comments:

mcgeant said...

Hey girl, I like your blog. I did my civic duty yesterday too, but knew who would win the Presidential race going in, so there was no big surprise. My only fear about Obama is his lack of experience. I hope he and his cabinet members can pull it together and get our country back in shape. I've had enough of this campaign race to last a life time! Time to move forward

L S Fisher said...

Cindy, I'm glad you went and voted. This was probably the most exciting election in a long time. Politicians always make too many promises, but no one would vote for one that said, "Elect me and I promise the government will be gridlocked and nothing will change." Obama has his work cut out for him, for sure. It should be interesting anyway.