Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Christmas with Santa 2006


Memories of Christmas, for which I have many. One that is a most cherished one as a parent happened just a few years ago. I have always believed the old saying "a picture is worth a 1,000 words". I like to think with all the pictures we took while the kids were growing up, the many trips we took and events that needed to be captured that maybe that was why our daughter Jennifer wanted to become a photographer.

But one infamous picture that eluded us every year was the picture with Santa Claus. The first Christmas related photo taken was when Matthew was not even 2 months old. It was our first surprise trip to MO to introduce him to his grandparents. Of course I had to find his first Christmas outfit which was the ever popular Christmas onesie with a matching cap. We propped him on our couch and low and behold his first holiday photo was captured.

Every year we would dress both kids in holiday clothes and trek either to the mall or some early function that would include a Santa. But alas our time spent in long lines was always for not because immediately the kids would back away from the bearded one. So needless to say not one kids with Santa picture.

Each year I would bring up this fact and finally it happened. Both kids got together and surprised me with my first Santa picture. Of course they were 20 and 21 respectively, but the point is they thought enough (and probably were tired of hearing from mom) that I didn't have a picture.

Christmas morning 2006 I opened the most precious gift they could have ever given me. Add the tears and repeat of the story from them. (They met at the mall and walked right up amongst the tiny tots, parents and others and told Santa there story that there poor mother never got a picture of them with Santa. They said that Santa and his elves got a real kick, and some interesting glances from those waiting for there turn) but hey it makes me think of the Hallmark commercial "When you care enough, to give the very best" and my two did.....

No comments: