Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Friday, January 29, 2010

Without Music the World Would Be Silent

My love for music started early on. First from the time I stepped into a skating rink music filled my life on a regular basis. Most weekends we spent our time at one of the few rinks that still had a organ player at the public sessions. Many early skating rinks had on-site organ players to accompany the skaters even at competitions. Later you cut special " 98 record albums" that you picked the music for. Most skaters of today don't even know what a record album is. During my era you had a multitude of cassette tapes in your skate bag because you never new when a music malfunction would occur.

I have always had a pretty eclectic music taste. My mother was a music buff also so she had cabinet after cabinet of albums. I still have a box of albums tucked into my closest that I just can't seem to get rid of. Even today when I hear a piece of music no matter what it is I think, "Wow would that be a good piece to do a skating routine too". Many an afternoon I would put on music and plot out a skating routine on the living room floor. Sometimes it would drive my parents crazy. Jumping in the house was tolerated to a degree.

The whole point of this post was I saw Barry Manilow and Neil Sedaka on television this past week which brought back a memory of my teen years. When most kids my age were listening to hard rock music , my choices were classical, Broadway show tunes, Barry Manilow and Neil Sedaka, Barbara Streisand and the list goes on. I can remember pretty much every piece of music I ever had a routine too and the reason behind it. Toward the end of my skating time I did my own music and choreography.

Although I listen to alot of country now, I still pull out some of my closeted favorites. So if you see me in my car, and my lips are moving I am probably not talking on hands free on my cellphone I am probably singing to one of my favorite old songs..

1 comment:

L S Fisher said...

You keep right on singing, Cindy.
Do a few jumps and spins too while you're at it.

I love all kinds of music too.