Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Wonderful Things Happen to Wonderful People

At a time when you think people you know are not lucky, something wonderful happened this past week to my in-laws. They are very, very deserving of it and it was a long time coming. From the first time that I met them 27 years ago they have always been and will continue to be very deserving people. They both were working parents when their boys were growing up, stretched a buck until it couldn't stretch anymore and always went way beyond for everyone in the family and even others.

I have heard both of them tell many a story on how my father-in-law basically raised two families in his lifetime. He was the oldest and when his father died in a farming accident everyone looked to him to be taken care of. Even after they both married , family members from both sides always looked to them for help, even sometimes when they could ill afford anything. They have never asked for anything back in return, selfless by most standards, so it's always been my thoughts that those same people, that were fortunate enough to receive help from them should return the favor someday.

This new event has made me sit back and see what will happen. They have both struggled the past several years with illnesses and situations no one should need to deal with especially at this time in their life. They should and need to be enjoying what time they have left on this earth and let others and those people who were fortunate for their help to help them in return.

That hasn't come as frequently as I had hoped but again no control over other's thoughts and moral ideals.

That little voice that my parents put inside my head always comes out "don't depend on other's be self sufficient, because most of the time other's don't come through for whatever reason". It's hard not to listen to that but I am doing my best to tune it out.

So I hope they can enjoy themselves, be selfish not selfless this one time.

No comments: