Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Monday, June 22, 2009

Father's Day

It was a pretty quiet Father's Day this year. David wasn't at home but he got calls from the kids and said he was going to call his Dad. I am sure that was a pretty short conversation as his Dad can't hear phone conversations because of his hearing loss, so it's basically yelling and repeating over and over. I did my wifely duties and sent the usual card from both of us and baked cookies for both parents last week. The cookies were probably more for my mother-in-law then for him but hopefully she allowed him a few.

Father's Day is typically bittersweet for me. I haven't had any communication with my adoptive father in over 25 years. It has always been difficult for me to try and explain to anyone the bizarre history of my family but in a nutshell it was his choice by a series of at the time unexplained situations that would come to a head on my wedding day. They all basically led up to three years later finding out I was adopted but I try and justify in my mind some people are just not meant to be father's (or mother's for that matter).

Recently in a internet search I believe I came upon some information that he passed away a few years ago. Unfortunately I really had no feelings one way or another in his possible death. He lived the life he wanted and that he ultimately made for himself and those around him. Although he taught me many useful things that I have tried to use throughout my life, there are still many that I have chosen not to follow.

My healing process is still in progress. I have chosen not to attempt to find my biological father by reason of some things are better left unexplored. I have always heard that you sometimes marry someone that is closely similar to your father. So with that I guess my father was a pretty amazing guy.

1 comment:

L S Fisher said...

I really forgot about Father's Day this year. I had so much going on. My dad and father-in-law both died in 1990. I should have at least called my sons who both turned out to be great fathers.