Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Switching from Analog to Digital It's Finally Over

If you get the feeling like I do when you see television commercials over and over and over again, that you just can't take it anymore this is for you. I catch myself like many switching when most commercials come on the television. Thank God for a remote control, right.

Target date June 12, 2009. It was postponed from I believe sometime in January and was I saddened when I realized that I would have to see these commercials for at least another 3-6 months. Truthfully I had thought that if you weren't connected to cable or had satellite that you didn't get any form of television viewing or otherwise didn't watch the "squawk box" as my Dad used to call it.

Growing up we had one, yes one television set. Black and white in our living room. At a time when everyone watched the same program and with no remote control. Imagine that. You had to actually get out of the chair and walk to the television and change the channel. Wow that I even remember those days is showing how old I am. Rabbit ears yes we had them and I can remember many a night when my Dad would have to get up and move them in anger. Sometimes we would have to watch our favorite shows with snow or lines running across the screen. In the 20 years I lived at home my parents never invested in a color set. I am not sure if it was because my father was so cheap or because he figured what was the point. You can be assured when I moved out a color set was the first on my list of purchases.

Today I hate to admit we have three televisions in our home. We had four but the one in the kitchen died on us a few months ago. I told David I had no plans to replace it. He actually looked at me as though I had lost my mind. I said, "There is no point, I really didn't need too". I even surprised myself with that statement. We haven't invested in a flat screen, or HD set like many others. I figure when the others die one by one will be soon enough. I figure I don't need to have a 72' inch or whatever massive sized sets they have now to be able to see my programs.

Ironically last night I saw one of those commercials revamped to say if you still were not receiving television transmission you would have to get a converter box. Dahh!!! if you weren't you wouldn't have seen the commercial..

1 comment:

L S Fisher said...

I'd rather read a book than watch TV anyway. Most TV isn't worth watching.