Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Monday, June 8, 2009

When Someone is Taken so Young

I haven't been able to put my finger on it but as each day goes by it's always so hard no matter what age you are to hear when someone you know passes away. I don't know if it makes me think of my own mortality or how I try and look to my own spirituality. It just never gets any easier and I doubt if it ever will.

As I wrote in an earlier post, my first experience with death was at age 17 when my grandpa passed away. For me it was a shock that he passed even though it was approximately two weeks worth of hospital visits and vigils. When the call came, I remembered thinking "no it's just not possible". It took me a long time to really accept that he was gone and not a day goes by that I don't wish he was here today. I think he would be very proud of me and my family. I only have one picture of him that proudly sits on my dresser.

This past weekend I received a phone call from my current hairdresser with news that my previous one had passed away. It wasn't a surprise, as she had been stricken with lung cancer and was battling it for the past 2-3 years. When diagnosed she was stage 4 and was given only a short time. So the fact that she struggled for as long as she did was amazing in itself. The hard part was she was 38 years old.

When I first met Stacie she had just graduated from college and decided doing hair was going to be her life. I remember the first time I saw her I crossed my fingers that she would be the one. After moving from California and having the same stylist do my hair for many years I was a little worried that I would not be able to find someone I liked. I had tried for about one year with no luck and was about ready to travel on trips to California if I had too. Stacie and I hit it off immediately and she continued to do not only my hair but David and the kids for the next 10 years. As everyone knows anyone who has their hair done compares there stylist to a psychologist. They hear stories about just about every part of your life, your families and the local town gossip. Stacie was no different, but she did it in a way where you felt she was just another good friend. I always teased her because she resembled the pop singer Christina Aguilera.

Don't get me wrong I like my current stylist but he will never be Stacie. Her smile would light up a room, her bubbly personality was always so refreshing.

Goodbye my friend, I know you are in a better place, it's just that you were taken so young, with so much more to live, but I know I will see you someday. So save a spot in your appointment book for me...

1 comment:

L S Fisher said...

Thank you, Cindy, for showing a little of Stacie's personality. I didn't know her, but feel like I know a little about her now. The picture in the obituary does look a little like Christina Aguilara!