Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Our Farmer's Market

Our town has had several versions of a farmer's market over the past years. At one time it occupied space in a tucked away spot downtown, then there was people who congregated in a parking lot in one of our small shopping centers. Dotted around town shortly after the first spring picking you would see tables and umbrellas with people peddling their wares.

When Jennifer worked at a local store a few years ago one of her regular customers would be a little elderly man who lived in the country and brought his plants, fruits and veggies in the back of his pickup truck into town to sell. After spending hours a week he would stop buy for a "pop" and bring her plants, or tomatoes. You can't beat a homegrown tomato!

With all of the push for organic and "going green" it wasn't surprising when word spread they were going to start an organized farmer's market. I had heard from several friends that if you wanted the good stuff you had better get their early. 8-12 on Saturdays and Tuesday during the afternoon and early evenings. Of course when the time comes around I usually forget.

So today I made it a point to pop out of bed and rush down so I could see what all the hype was. Promptly at 8:02 a.m. I pulled around the corner of our Main and Grand Sts. I have to admit I was excited to see for myself all the goodies available.

Their was approximately 10 tents. Of course the Amish/Mennonite community was well represented with baked goods. A sprinkling of vegetables (tomatoes, cucumbers, blueberries) honey, plants, and woodcrafts. I know it will take time to grow and prosper and along with that the vendors will need to bring more products and hopefully the community will support it the best they can.

I admit I thought $5.00 for a large pint of blueberries was a little high but when you figure they are locally grown and fresh you have to suck it up. Also you are supporting the local people. Their vision is admirable I just hope it doesn't turn out like alot of things that start out with a bang. People have asked for it now let's support them.

No comments: