Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Reading Material That Caught My Eye

A couple of years ago when David turned 50 he immediately started getting literature in the mail regarding retirement planning and other things regarding reaching the other half of one's life. I unmercifully teased him every chance I could and as usual he took it with a grain of salt. His usual return comment is "your not that far behind girl". When the first of the "junk mail" as he called it came we thought he might as well sign up to become an AARP member. I had remembered years ago when my grandparents belonged and they received a magazine on a monthly basis. I never read the stories but enjoyed the puzzles, word finds that were always inside.

When his first magazine arrived I eagerly thumbed through each page. I found no word finds or really anything of interest. The cover story is usually about a entertainment personality. This month though the cover really caught my eye.

I have always loved the old black and white shows from the 50's and 60's. I think I could quote almost every I Love Lucy show and still laugh at stunts I have seen her do for years. If you really watch long enough episodes of Leave it to Beaver still hold true today. Whenever there is a marathon of any of the popular shows I am eagerly their watching as if it was my first time. I guess it takes us back when television watching was so carefree and you didn't have to worry about profanity or sexually explicit things that you would rather not see.

Saturday they had a Andy Griffith Show marathon most of the afternoon David and I sat and watched a couple. At a time when most families had two parents and siblings it was a stretch that the single Andy and his son Opie and Aunt Bea was not what I knew as a traditional family.

Well when I retrieved the mail guess who was on this months AARP-Ron Howard (Opie). Today Opie is 56 years old and a grandpa. Hard to believe I know! Even though I know everyone; including myself is getting older. It was hard to look at that balding, older Opie. I loved the story and how he has not and never succumbed to the "Hollywood" childhood that we see so much of today. He came from a showbiz family but still is just like everyone else.

As I said to David (I hate to admit it) "Now I know I am old when Opie is on the cover of AARP"..

1 comment:

L S Fisher said...

I love those old shows too! I can still remember Lucy doing the commercial about a vega-vitamin drink that made her a little bit drunk.