Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Friday, June 26, 2009

Iconic Entertainer's of Our Times

Call it an old wives tale but how long have I heard when someone passes away it usually comes in three's. I have no idea who started that or what the reason behind it is exactly but I always think of this when I hear someone has passed on.

I have to admit I like many other young girls growing up in the 70's attempted the Farrah Fawcett "hairdo". No one ever tried to tell me it probably wouldn't work because my hair was so thick but the attempts were always there and I have several pictures throughout my life to show for it. Whether it be wearing curlers to get the effect or attempting to cut my own hair which turned out disastrously it was something in my childhood.

I wasn't a true Michael Jackson follower, but I remember when the Jackson Five came out and alot of their hit songs. When Michael went out on his own in the early 80's I remember his music was always popular at the skating rink. With his Thriller video that brought a whole litany of routines, costumes and such.

I can say I have never understood the desire for people to idolize entertainers whether it be movie personalities or musicians. They live a life in a fishbowl whether they want it or not. I know my time in the skating rinks I was privy to some of how "special" people are treated and the perks. The more they get the more some want. You can't say no to anyone because you are hard to work for or with. Trying to weed out the crazy people from the true people is almost impossible. This all causes you to isolate yourself because you don't really know who to trust. Are they there for you for the money or the fame they might be able to acquire because of you? Paranoia sets in. None of this would be fun for me, no matter how much money.

I remember when I was a part of the synchronized team the local paper wanted to do an article about us after one of our national championship wins. They came to the rink during one of our practices and pulled myself (because at the time I was one of the youngest and also one of the senior members) they asked the usual questions, when did you start skating? What was fun about being a part of a team? etc. I recall that I said after years of single skating I wanted to be a part of a championship team because I wasn't ready yet to hang up my skates at the ripe old age of 27. They took a picture of us and that was that.. I thought..

About a week later when I arrived at the rink for practice, the manager called me aside and said he had a piece of mail for me.. What? It was addressed to me in care of the rink.

When I opened it up it essentially read, "I read the article about you in the paper and as I love the music of the 40's (we skated to Big Band tunes) I would love to know when you are skating next to come and see you". "If you would like to write to me and let me know I would appreciate it". Signed.... I remember thinking at the time it was a little weird, but basically just disregarded it and never answered the letter. Was he a stocker, I don't know probably not just an innocent guy writing a letter. How would I have felt if suddenly I had gotten letters, calls and photographers posted at my home? I wouldn't have quit my skating but my life would have changed forever.

Farrah Fawcett can now be cancer-free. Michael Jackson I don't think we have heard the last of what his sudden death was caused from. Probably another sad and tragic end.

No comments: