Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Monday, January 5, 2009

Butterflies are Free

Many years ago I started a sort of fascination with butterflies. I have never entirely figured out why but several things during my life have seemed to parallel butterflies and there existence.

I remember when I was in elementary school we had trees that were always filled with caterpillars which then became butterflies. It was always a wonderful science lesson during my time there.

Fast forward to when Matthew was in Boy Scouts. One Saturday we took a hike up in the local Los Angeles mountains for a project. And half way through the hike we came upon an area that literally millions of butterflies were in the trees. I so wish I would have had a camera because the picture would have been magnificent I am sure.

I was once told by a friend that when you see a butterfly it is a loved one who is watching out for you that has passed. I know that I saw alot of butterflies not long after my biological mom passed away, I like to think this could be true.

When Jennifer was away in Massachuetts at school we went out exploring one day and came upon a butterfly sanctuary that runs year round. It was climate controlled and the variety of species was endless.

I have acquired several pins that I wear and I guess one of the reasons I appreciate them so much is the evolution of a butterfly I feel relates to my life. And like me they just pop up anywhere, they start out one thing and end up something completely different. I have evolved several times in my life so far and will probably continue to change.

No comments: