Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

"They Don't Do That Anymore"

Yes as with everything it seems times have changed and how we do things seems to change on a daily basis. I know when I began skating as a child, amateur skaters couldn't get paid one red cent, today they can rack in the money, the outfit requirements were pretty basic, a pair of tights, a leotard with a skirt and you were set. Leggings, butt pads high dollar costumes are now a part of the whole skating package. I guess its just a sign that I am getting older and don't adjust to the changes as easily as I should be. But I can't help but think that some changes are just unnecessary and if we just don't things the old fashion way, the world might be in a different situation even now.

Recently I was talking about workplace etiquette and what we did: things like courtesy, documentation and follow-ups with clients. I was told "they just don't do that anymore, bottom line is the key" I think if businesses today were more concerned about the basics maybe things would be different. Train your employees well and there productivity might bring about a happier clientele. You think!!

I spent three days on the phone trying to clear up a duplicate payment that was made by myself and a consultant we use for filing purposes. I did it the old fashioned way I paid by check, sent my completed form in an envelope and pasted postage stamp on the front. Wow imagine that. The consultant did everything "on-line". Needless to say my transaction was posted but hers wasn't because the state didn't catch the duplicate payment. After calls, transfers etc. we finally got it-I think- resolved and the refund is "in the mail". It is amazing to me how it took so long to take care of this but not recently this same agency bugged me for a 27 cent payment.

They just don't do things the old fashion way..What a pity...

1 comment:

L S Fisher said...

I think you summed up the problem nicely!